This post first appeared on my friend Glor’s blog, Always Creating, a lovely blog full of inspirational words and pretty content (Glor is a stylist, photographer, content creator and interior stylist so her images are always beautiful!). When she asked me what I wanted to write about I knew straight away that I wanted to share some of my favorite affordable style tips as, if you’re like me, you’re probably on a mission to save few pennies after the excesses of last month, but that doesn’t mean that our style has to suffer! There are a lots of things we can do to keep our style fresh and our wallets full whether we’re shopping, styling ourselves or simply storing our clothes and I’m sharing my top 10, right here:
- Be creative with what you have and shop your closet. Look at your items with fresh eyes, pull out your favorite pieces and see if you can identify any new outfit combinations using the clothes you don’t wear very much. I guarantee you’ll find outfits that you never even knew you had. Another way to get the creative juices flowing is to challenge yourself to pull together three different outfits with the same item. While we’re on the subject of mixing and matching – If you’re someone
who likes to hang their clothes in outfits in their closet, please split
them up. I know it makes for easy dressing but it stifles creativity
as it makes it really hard to picture those items with other clothes in
- Don’t keep things for best. We all have a few items in our closet that make us feel fantastic, but we have a tendency to keep for a special occasion. Well don’t! You deserve to feel special all the time not just a few times a year, so dust them down and style them up for everyday.
Three ways to wear a metallic skirt
- Don’t underestimate the power of accessories! Belts are a fantastic way to tie a look together or to highlight a waist, in fact they are my number one item for showing off waists. Jewelry is another accessory that doesn’t get worn enough. How many of you have a box full of beautiful jewelry that never sees the light of day? I would hazard a guess that it’s either ‘to special’ to wear every day or is stored in a way that makes it impossible to grab something quickly before running out the door. A simple piece of jewelry will do wonders for an outfit and is a great way to feel a little special on a mundane Monday morning, so make it accessible and make an effort to wear it.
- Experiment with different ways to wear your clothes. Knot or tie a top to add style and shape to your frame, or loosely tucked your top into the front of your skirt or pants to add style and a little definition to your shape. Maybe even try wearing some of your tops and dresses back to front, this one is a fave of mine!
Three ways to wear matching separates, Part 1 // Part 2
- A tailored jacket is something that everyone should have in their repertoire. They are the easiest way to transform a nondescript jeans and t-shirt combination into a chic and stylish look. Team it with flats or sneakers in the day and heels for the night. Simple!
Three ways to wear a striped top
- Play around with the sleeve length. Sometimes turning the sleeve up can transform a top from looking too big to looking like it’s the perfect fit. It’s also fun to layer different sleeve lengths, too.
- Buy vintage clothing. It’s a great way to add uniqueness and personality to your look, and is often far better made than fast fashion items that have a tendency to look tired after a few washes. Not only that but it’s often cheaper too! Win, win!
- Shop for next season trends in this seasons sales rather than buying pieces that you’ll only get a couple more months wear out of. It’s a great way to save money, and it feels pretty great when you see something similar a couple of months later, for over twice the price. Right now I’m hunting down stripes, anything with shoulder cut outs, lame fabrics and frills, all of which are set to big again next season!
- It’s all in the details – Fringing, beading and embellishment can make a budget item look expensive. If you pay attention to the details, you’ll achieve a high-end look for a fraction of the price.
- And my last tip? Head to your local beauty store and find a bold lippy in your perfect shade. If I’m feeling flat, I’ll pop on my favorite shade for an instant lift!
|Three ways to wear an oversized sweater|